COBRA - the screenreader for Windows 7, 8 and 10
COBRA simplifies working with Windows 7, 8 and 10 for blind and visually impaired computer users. COBRA incorporates all standard functions of a modern screen reader in an environment ready for the future. COBRA converts important information from the computer screen into speech, braille or magnified form.
Modify your desktop according to your needs and combine the functions you require to create your own productive environment. User-oriented functions can be personalized for an individual user to guarantee a professional and efficient workflow.
Two COBRA versions for different Windows users:
- COBRA 11 for Windows 8 and 10
- COBRA 10 for Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit), Windows XP (32-bit) and Vista (32-bit)
Efficient work environment
When access to less common applications is required, we offer scripting expertise to help configure COBRA for use with these programs. Multi Scripts allow multiple scripts for the same application and/or different users on the same computer.
Blind computer users often encounter barriers when operating computer software programs. COBRA accesses those software programs and optimizes the information on a braille display. COBRA provides an overview of the important information displayed on the computer screen.
As an aid to training, the output of the braille display is shown on the monitor in text form. COBRA uses a powerful braille engine to optimise the braille output. COBRA can switch between braille Grade I and Grade II at the press of a button. Inputting braille via the PC-keyboard is also possible. COBRA also offers two additional featur
- Splitting the braille display: various types of information can be presented on one braille display by dividing it into user defined sections
- Supporting multiple braille displays: different models of braille displays can show the same
Terminal Server, Citrix, and remote desktop environments now flow seamlessly. The locally installed braille display accepts the output of the terminal server, and uses all of the scripts from the remote system. The screen magnification follows the structure and menu on the remote systems.
The TASO® principle
The highly acclaimed TASO® sliders provide COBRA users a quick overview of the contents of a computer screen. TASO® represents two dimensions of a computer screen using optional vertical and horizontal sliders combined with acoustic signals.
COBRA Zoom is a powerful screen magnifier. It is controlled quickly and easily from the PC-keyboard or the optional TASO® sliders. The magnification ranges from 1× to 32× with full control of the presentation, i. e. colors, contrast and positive or negative images. There are a wide variety of magnification features: full screen magnification, split screen views, magnifying glass with enhanced edge smoothing, etc. COBRA Zoom also supports Terminal Server workplaces.
COBRA keeps you up to date. The online updater notifies you when there are new updates for COBRA. These are automatically installed after confirmation. When you purchase COBRA, updates are provided to you free-of-charge for 4 years. This includes new major versions (COBRA 12) and versions for the latest versions of Windows.
- Operates easily and intuitively
- Now compatible with Windows 8 and 10NEW: supports MS Office 2016
- Navigates comfortably in tables and Opens web pages faster with the revised version of COBRA-Explorer
- Clear and natural-sounding text-to-speech with Nuance Vocalizer TTSFree updates for four years
- Provides output in speech, braille, and/or screen magnification
There is much more to discover - convince yourself by downloading a demo version of COBRA today!
Free Download of COBRA 11.0, 10.2, 10.1, and 10.0
Integrated Screen Magnification
COBRA Zoom and COBRA Pro contain, in addition to braille and speech, a powerful screen magnifier that is fully integrated within COBRA. It contains a. o. the following features:
- Magnification from 1x to 32x
- Full screen or split screen views of the computer screen
- Edge smoothing with automatic recognition of foreground and background colours
- Optical aids, such as highlighting of cursor, focus border and mouse pointer
- Extra large mouse pointer available in different colours
- Indicator where magnification area is in relation to the full screen
- Inverse display mode but also only grey-scales, single colour-mode and multi-colour-mode
- Shortcuts for fast operation
- Windows key + z, direct call to magnification dialog
- Windows key + Page Up (PgUp), magnification increases one step
- Windows key + Page Down (PgDn), magnification decreases one step
COBRA is software that provides access to information on a computer screen (Windows) for people who are blind or visually impaired. There are three versions of COBRA to choose from:
- COBRA Zoom features speech access and magnification
- COBRA Braille features speech access and support for over 130 braille display systems
- COBRA Pro includes everything that is found in COBRA Zoom and COBRA Braille
COBRA Braille offers both support for Braille and Speech output. In COBRA Zoom there is the screen magnification feature with speech output. COBRA Pro includes all 3 forms: speech output, braille output and screen magnification.
That's what our clients say:
I have used Baum's screen reading software (first VIRGO and then COBRA) both at home and at work for more than ten years. One of the primary reasons why I chose BAUM products was their superior support for Braille. I also appreciate COBRA's flexibility in presenting alternative screen views. My success at work depends on my ability to access detailed information quickly and thoroughly; COBRA enables me to work at least as efficiently as my sighted colleagues. COBRA works very well with networks. Other screen readers either froze on the network (causing me to lose data) or weren't usable in our applications. Although at that time there was no COBRA distributor for USA, any delays resulting from the time difference between Germany and USA have been more than compensated by the competence, thoroughness and expertise of the BAUM staff and their products.
Mary Beth Metzger, USA